Delicious DIRT’s Afternoon JUICE
Last week, Nick over at Grub Street told us about Etno Village Grill, a Mediterranean grill shop that just opened on Sheffield. We also hear we can get a hamburger too, amidst the Medi specialties.
More Ferran Adria news to you molecular gastro groupies: He did an interview with the U.K.’s Telegraph, to discuss his upcoming culinary foundation, or, as we at EYP like to call it, elbulli 2.0. Read it here.
The Michelin debate—of all the restaurant rating systems out there (Michelin, Zagat, DiRoNa (Distinguished Restaurants of North America), Mobil/AAA Five Star and Five Diamonds, Relais Gourmand), do they have any relevance any more? Most important, and seemingly most revered, does Michelin still have the cachet that it once had? Fresh off the heels of Chicago’s inaugural guide, and celebrating the U.K.’s 100th Michelin anniversary, the culinary world is up in arms about Michelin ratings. Do restaurants and patrons give more weight to restos that have gained a star versus ones that haven’t? The Wall Street Journal here discusses the dying sparkle of the ratings.
The peer-awarded Jean Banchet awards occurred at the hyped-up Grand Chefs Gala for Cystic Fibrosis event on Friday night in the CHI. We at EYP love the Gala, especially since it’s for a good cause. But the Jean Banchet awards is the real star of the show. Rachael Lowe, Trump’s wine director took home the award for Best Sommelier; Alinea (no surprise here) won for Best Fine Dining; Curtis Duffy of Avenues won for Best Celebrity Chef. Chicago’s fine dining scene is getting better and better every day.
Delicious DIRT. Hiring
**The highly anticipated ING restaurant by Homaru Cantu is hiring, but only for a short time. Get in on the ground floor now.
We at Elevate Your Presence really LOVE when The New York Times features a growing neighborhood in the Chi. Wanna learn about what is soon to become your next hot spot? You’re in luck, yesterday’s NYT Travel Section hit on some of our go-to’s in Logan Square. Hopefully our fave local joints won’t get too slammed….
LONGMAN & EAGLE
2657 North Kedzie Avenue
OWEN & ENGINE
2700 North Western Avenue
2323 North Milwaukee Avenue
WOLFBAIT & B-GIRLS (Boutique)
3131 West Logan Boulevard
So, Chicago has Restaurant Week in February, Chicago Chef Week in March, and we had Chicago Originals Restaurant week last week. Now…meat week?! Yes, you read right: meat week– the best thing since sliced bread for the carnivorous eater. Beginning yesterday through Feb. 6, Meat Week takes place at seven different barbecue restaurants (and some of Elevate Your Presence’s FAVES- hello SMOQUE). Around the city, you can vote on the best, greasy, spicy, messy BBQ the city has to offer. Don’t fret if you missed yesterday at Honey One BBQ, the finale will be there Feb 6. Get MEATY!
1/30 Honey One BBQ, 2241 N. Western Ave, 6 p.m.
1/31 The Smoke Daddy, 1804 W. Division St., 7 p.m.
2/1 Fat Willy’s Rib Shack, 2416 W. Schubert Ave., 7 p.m.
2/2 Smoque BBQ, 3800 N. Pulaski Rd., 7 p.m.
2/3 San Soo Gab San, 5247 N. Western Ave., 8 p.m.
2/4 Honky Tonk BBQ, 1213 W. 18th St., 8 p.m.
2/5 Pork Shoppe, 2755 W. Belmont Ave., 12 p.m.
2/6 Honey One BBQ (MEAT WEEK FINALE – BYOB) 1 p.m.
Morning cock block? This is one you’ll dig. EYP loves that both Tasting Table and Daily Candy BOTH featured French inspired Rewster’s Cafe today. Apparently the newest cock on the block is stellar and the menu is no exception.
We at Elevate Your Presence love local newbie quality cafes. Rewster’s speaks to us. What’s nicer than free WiFi, frittatas (weekly specials) and sandwiches that come with soup salad or chips for $9-$11. Breakfast and lunch are served daily from 7am and our mouths are watering.
Rewster’s locally roasted Dark Matter coffee, aka, the Cock Blocker, will have you energized beyond belief. Their breakfast sounds to die for: croissants (Tasting Table says among the city’s BEST), pastries, muffins, tarts, quiches, frittatas all made by Frederic Zahm (Peninsula’s Pierrot Gourmet). Lunch includes grilled cheese with honey brioche, bread pudding stuffed with turkey, leeks, and potatoes, and apple-banana-honey tart, tuna, and fresh soups.
Rewster’s Weekly Specials:
Soup: Celery Root & Coconut
Frittata: Butternut Squash & Cinnamon
Cream Cheese: Chive
Coffee: Java Pre-Anger
Food Mafia can’t wait to get there along with everyone else in the city. Go Local. Stay tuned.
Delicious DIRT’s Super Bowl Round-Up
- Order up Dough Boys massive three-yard long pizza pie (40 + slices) perf for the party on Sunday! $29 for the pie plus $5 per ingredient. Dough Boys, as you know, is Jimmy Bannos’ (Heaven on Seven, Purple Pig) and Scott Harris’ (Francesca’s Family or Restaurants)) collaboration in Little Italy. LOVE.
- There’s nothing like the FIRST TIME! One of our faves, Girl & The Goat, will be open for BRUNCH on Super Bowl Sunday from 10am-3pm! Love Super Bowl highlights? They’ll feature oldies and in its entirety, the BEARS 1985 Super Bowl. Special menu from Chef Stephanie Izard will include Goat’s staple Pig’s Face (pic below), duck eggs, goat sausage gravy and biscuits, fried oyster po’ boy with sunny side egg and rouille, and so much more. BRING IT. Bonus drink specials include house bloody mary with PBR back. Craving it all already. Seriously, bring it. Food Mafia will be on the scene too so stay tuned. More via Eater. Oh, we seriously doubt you can still get a reservation, but walk-ins are welcome.
- LOVE Chili? Nalyah’s Soup Cafe (Bucktown’s drive-through) for anything soup-a-licious (feat. Super Bowl Chili for the team waiting for you at home). Chef Curtis McGhee’s making roughly 150 pounds of chili in 5 tasty versions: white bean-chicken, beef, turkey, bison or elk as well as a vegan option for those non-meat eating manly football men. Thanks Metromix.
- Get sauced at Six Corners Sports Bar — Loads of spicy wings & sliders…oh my! And to top it all off they have 20+ sauces to dip whatever you order in = SPORTS HEAVEN. Mention Delicious Dirt and see what happens!
- Rockit Bar and Grill (Wrigley) Super Bowl Food and Drink Special Package $60 – unlimited 5 hour buffet of game time munchies featuring mouth watering Truffle & sweet potato french fries and Captain, Kettle, wine, and beers. Dig in and (GO…mmm Steelers?). More info click here.
- O’Donovan’s (2100 W. Irving Park Rd) is offering American #comfortfood on special for the big game! Featuring a $5 White Trash Mimosas (we love…yet don’t have a clue what’s in it) and $13 22-oz. cocktails and other ‘Big-Gulp’ sized drinks.
- Dear @kapeiffer – we love you for posting! Simone’s in Pilsen is hosting the No Boys Allowed Party, a non-super bowl bash featuring every girl’s fave – Sex and the City. As NBC’s Around Town reports, while the rest of the world crushes beer cans and yells at the tv, you can revel in #SATC. Dressing to impress even scores you a free #SATC cosmopolitan. Via NBC Chicago’s Around Town.
- Hub 51, one of our faves in River North, is offering to-go nacho kits for what Metromix calls, their “nacho cult following”. They really are one of our favorites in the world. Nacho package includes organic chicken, guac, salsa, chips and cheese and detailed instructions on how to recreate the masterpiece at home- all for 20$.
- Haymarket Pub & Brewery, the West Loop’s most recent brewpub offers 7 varieties of house-brewed beers (to-go) ranging from $ 15-21 for a 64-ounce growler (plus $5 for the growler).
- Snoop’s got the scoop for your ultimate #superbowl #recipes! Via The Feast Chi here
- Stay tuned all week for more…
Delicious DIRT. Boston Event Alert
- Love a good fight? We at Elevate Your Presence dig a sold throw-down. This one is gonna be one for the books: foul-mouthed uber food nerd Anthony Bourdain vs. proper, French chef and seafood king, Eric Ripert. The Good vs. Evil event takes place in Boston on Mar. 4. The two wax poetic about food, the cooking process, and their lives as chefs. You can purchase tix here.
Delicious DIRT. JUICE
Some of you may think that offal is, well, awful…but some chefs’ trademark is working with the, er, awful (oops…offal). One of those chefs is @offalchris of Incanto. He tells Vanity Fair how he gets people to try it. It’s hilarious…
DYING. Symmetrical faces are considered more attractive. Possibly true? Test it out w/ the #iPhone app by Echoism. See it all here by Creativity.
Want homemade fresh goodness, but dont have the time?? This is quite possibly THE smartest and cutest ideas in food made easy! Featured in today’s @dailycandy, Small Comfort Pot Pies is a newer biz that bakes what you crave- mini pies- fresh for you. And guess what? They deliver. These pies are literally going to rock your world. You can freeze em and stock up! genius idea!
Love this- Mark Zuckerberg wants to make an appearance on SNL this weekend… to show he has a sense of humor after being portrayed on the serious side in The Social Network. Can not wait to see if one of the world’s most successful geniuses actually cracks a few good ones on SNL. Read the New York Post’s story here and Techland’s Allie Townsend reports here.
Via @ElevatePresence: <3 @JeanP_Gaultier graced #Paris #runway w Spring line…Solely w voice of Catherine Deneuve – sans music. http://bit.ly/ht4v3G @ChicReport
As @mbkov previously said, we’re COUNTING THE DAYS til @thesouthernmac#foodtruck#foodporn
Truck takes off. And soon!
WE LOVE DOGS. More on our angels later… Wanted to share a few wonderful Elevate Your Presence recommend events for beautiful causes.
2/4, Friday Animal Magnetism at Galleria Marchetti. So passionate about PAWSChicago & excited for their 5th Annual Animal Magnetism on February 4 emceed by Fox Chicago’s Anna Davlantes. All the beautiful details of Animal Magnetism are here. This stellar event has a SWEET auction! The following items will be up for auction: Tickets to the Tonight Show, A private in-home chef’s dinner with Chilam Balam’s Chuy Valencia, “Warbird pilot for a day” and a take home video to commemorate your flight experience, and Chicago Cubs tickets seats two rows from the field!
2/15, Tuesday 6:30PM – 10:00PM come to the 6th Annual Benefit for Sit Stay Read Literacy Programs. Enjoy a night of excitement which supporting a great cause! The Westminster Dog Show will be displayed LIVE paired with an open bar, small bites and a silent auction. This benefit will be hosted by @benchmark_4C located at 1510 N. Wells. Can’t wait to see everyone there! More information here.
Reminder – Delicious DIRT. Events
TODAY 1/27 Small Bar ‘s Lincoln Park location -$15 buys the first 50 people unlimited sliders, pints of Brooklyn Lager and Left Hand Brewing Company Milk Stout between 7 and 9 p.m. READY GO! Via @ChicagoMag (1415 W. Fullerton Ave.; 773-525-2727),
TODAY 1/27 730p—Three Aces one of the many new Italian spots garnering acclaim in Little Italy, is hosting the inaugural dinner of its monthly rock and roll dinner series. January’s theme is Exile on Taylor Street, and will feature a four-course, $40 menu inspired by rock icons’ January birthdays, such as Elvis. For more info, call Three Aces at 312 243 1577. (Eater Chicago)
Today 1/27 THE GRAND OPENING OF “MUSEUM WORKS GALLERY @ Museum Works Galleries6:30pm – 9:30pmMuseum Works Galleries 222 Merchandise Mart Plaza, Suite # 1850, Chicago http://www.facebook.com/ElevateYourPresence?ref=ts#!/event.p…
Friday 1/28 6p 14th annual Grand Chefs Gala for Cystic Fibrosis taking place at the Fairmont Hotel. Tix are $400 for 4-course dinner, hosted cocktail reception and postprandial dessert reception. Silent and live auction included. If this is too much money for you to spend right now, do it up at the After Party beginning at 930p for $60. Some of the city’s hottest mixologists will be there shaking it up, while Libido Funk Circus will provide the music to your shakin’.
1/28 No, it’s not Halloween, but The Fifty/50 is having a Heaven and Hell party. There’s free mini burgers and drinks from 8-9p. And get there EARLY. It’s first come, first served. They’re also having a costume contest. One guy and one girl with the best angel/devil costume (after sending in pics to The Fifty/50) will win a private booth in “hell” for them and five of their friends. Read about it here via Mextromix
Delicious Afternoon JUICE:
Are You A Member? Food Mafia wants you!
Calling all Food Nerds, Chefs, and Cuisine Obsessives. Food Mafia is launching soon. To receive an exclusive invitation, click here. Plus, send us your juiciest FOOD PORN and you might even get lucky… firstname.lastname@example.org
David Richards closes Mado & now Sweets & Savories! Sources say there was a lack of money to pay its chefs and staff. Via Eater
Delicious DIRT. To Open
Sepia is expanding and will now open Private Dining by Sepia (135 N. Jefferson St.; 312-441-1920). PDS -slated to open this spring occupying the storefront next door for private dinners and cocktail receptions. @ChicagoMag
Delicious DIRT. Recently Opened
Etno Village Grill – opened last week. Etno presents quick-service (like Chipotle), Eastern European grub, including cevapcici (Balkan sausage) on lepinja (crusty pita-like bread) made to order with the diner’s choice of 20 condiments. (via @ChicagoMag) 2580 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-698-8069
Gosu – Opened yesterday. Previously occupied by Rustik, Gosu has high hopes that its Korean-Japanese flare will blow Logan Square away. The menu features loads of Korean dishes, 30 maki options, and other plates. Greatness lies in the fact they will make you anything you want even if not on menu… now thats what Food Mafia LOVES! 2515 N. California Ave.; 773-276-7330
Elevate Your Presence ♥’s #MEATAMERICA! An eye-opening & artery-closing tour of #America’s spirit of entrepreneurship rebellion & positivity on Design Don’t Panic http://bit.ly/eZtNlK LOVE
Big ups and congratulations from Chicago Food Mafia and Elevate Your Presence to Pastry Chef Abigail Dahan of NoMI Restaurant, Park Hyatt Chicago taking 1st place of $10,000 in the Cacao Barry L’Art du Chocolatier competition.
Via @ElevatePresence -The new @AbsolutCANADA Wild Tea is so DELISH! Think Jeremiah Weed sans the sugar. Check out their new #ad video! http://on.fb.me/fLmeDj @VogueMagazine
Delicious DIRT’s Morning JUICE-
- Nick over at Grub Street tells Elevate Your Presence‘s Delicious Dirt that Prix Fixe opens on Friday in Lincoln Square. No, that’s not a typo, and yes, that’s its name; an aptly titled resto serving a $35 three-course menu with French and Italian influences. For those who are decidedly commitment-phobic and wish Vday would just go away, there will be a few a la carte menu items from which to choose.
- You know, USA has NEVER won the Bocuse d’Or. The closest we’ve ever come is sixth place a few times. The two-day competition ended yesterday, and guess which country won? Denmark came in first, followed by Sweden and Norway. We’re wondering if this has anything to do with a Danish restaurant (Noma) having been bestowed the honor of Best Restaurant in the World. Hmmm… Or maybe there’s a reason why Noma beat out elbulli and its chef placed first in the. Is Rene Redzepi literally the world’s all around greatest chef? Via Eater
- We were all shocked when we heard elbulli was closing for good in 2014 (even though the majority of us would never get to go). Our mouths still agape, we got word that it was actually closing in 2012. We nearly fell on the floor when we heard Ferran Adria was re-opening elbulli as…a culinary foundation?! Now, The Feast tells us that there will be an “eco-neighborhood” and “park.”
- Everyone’s fave pork palace, The Publican, is collaborating with Lagunitas Brewing Company out of California to offer a special house beer that would possibly be sold in your local liquor store.
- As you know by now, Taco Bell is having a beef about what percentage of beef their tacos are! A lawsuit is being filed stating that Taco Bell’s beef filling is only 36% beef, but the chief Taco dude, President Greg Creed, states that the number is actually 86% beef and that the rest is …other ingredients that contribute to the quality of our product.” Read about it in Where’s The Beef and via Eater. Hopefully there’s no countersuit about libel. Eek!
DIRT’s Chef Shuffles